windows 7 - How can I turn off the battery meter on my Thinkpad T500?

2014-04
  • Byron

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 with Windows 7 Enterprise (n). Even though my laptop is docked (or plugged in), there is a battery meter to the left of the system tray:

enter image description here

I'd like to turn that off if possible. Has anyone else been able to do that?

• Answers
  • Shiki

Which battery meter? The Power Manager one or the default one? The default one can be turned off in the customization of the notification icons. Right click on Taskbar -> properties -> Notification area: Customize -> At the bottom Turn system .... There you go.

If you talk about the Power manager one. Click with left mouse button on the gauge. Options tab. Show power manager gauge...

Hope you wanted this answer. :)

• vilmosz

Good question -- I'm wondering if there is a specific setting in the Power Manager that would enable one to disable the annoying green brightness meter which pops up everytime the screen brightness auto-resets under battery usage as a way of conserving power.

• Related Question

windows 7 - Very poor battery life on Lenovo ThinkPad W500 laptop
  • Matt

I have a new ThinkPad W500 laptop (w/ 9 cell battery) running Windows 7 RTM 64-bit. All drivers* and BIOS are the latest. Battery life appeared poor so I performed several tests under the following conditions:

• Battery starts with 100% charge
    • Screen on minimum brightness
    • Screen saver running
    • Wifi n enabled and active
    • "Normal" set of programs running including Outlook 2007, FeedDemon, TweetDeck and antivirus
    • Laptop left untouched during tests

Under the above conditions, I clocked under 2 hours of battery life across 3 tests (1:49, 1:52, 1:47). If I actually use the computer, we're looking at 1:30.

Something is not right...

• The smoking gun here is that Lenovo hasn't officially released Windows 7 drivers for this laptop. I haven't tried with Vista or XP yet.

What are others seeing?

Update: For W500 owners w/ the 9 cell battery, what value do you see for "Full charge capacity" when on the Battery tab of the Power Manager utility? I see 81.87 Wh.

• Related Answers
  • Matt

The problem was the switchable graphics driver (a feature of this ThinkPad) not working properly. If you look at the second instance of "**" in question http://superuser.com/questions/56721/how-do-i-achieve-a-working-switchable-graphics-install-and-config-on-a-thinkpad-w you'll see my switchable graphics driver problem. From the question:

...During the short period where I did manage to get switchable graphics working and had "Energy Saver" selected, the ThinkPad Power Manager showed 2 hours and 47 minutes of runtime (when fully charged) vs. the approx. 2 hours it showed before switchable graphics was running (I haven't yet done an actual run time test). I need to test this out more but it's an interesting correlation.

I redid the test stated in this question and got an unbelievable 7 hours and 46 minutes of run time at idle. I'll likely see less than half that during normal usage, but I'll update the answer after I test it.

• David Pearce

When buying a laptop, remember this one, simple rule:

Manufacturers lie about battery life

Without knowing too much about that particular laptop, everything seems just about right. You seem to be running everything at their 'maximum' setting, so the only thing you could do to drain the batter quicker would be to start some heavy 3D gaming.

If you are after a longer battery life from your laptop, try turning Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off and the brightness down. Disabling Aero would also give you a few extra minutes.

It is possible that official Windows 7 drivers would extend the battery life a bit, but I wouldn't expect too much.

If you are still experiencing low battery life even after official Windows 7 drivers (or downgrading to XP or Vista), I would suggest you get it 'fixed' under warranty (assuming you have not voided it). After all, that's what it's there for!

My Macbook boasts a 5 hour battery life, but the only way to achieve this is to disable the backlight, bluetooth, wifi, sound. Also, it helps to not actually do anything.

• Sathya

ThinkPad W500 laptop (w/ 9 cell battery)

I clocked under 2 hours of battery life across 3 tests (1:49, 1:52, 1:47). If I actually use the computer, we're looking at 1:30.

I would think that the battery's probably damaged, with respect to its Charge retaining capacity. Check the state of your battery's wear level using Notebook Hardware Control.

• miloshadzic

I'm definitely seeing more battery life on mine, and i have the 6-cell battery.

Did you disable switchable graphics in the BIOS? Try measuring with only the integrated card or the discreet one. The switchable graphics driver for the W/T500 is basically the only driver that doesn't exist yet for Windows 7.

• harrymc

According to this test on Review Update Lenovo Thinkpad W500 Notebook, carried out with a 6-cell battery, battery life is:

Idle (without WLAN, min brightness) - 3h 32min
    Surfing with WLAN - 2h 40min
    DVD - 2h 12min
    Load (maximum brightness) - 1h 11min

You may compare these times with Lenovo's claim for 3.9 hours battery life ....

So it seems that your 9-cell battery is a bit weak. On the other hand, don't expect that the performance will be any like the specs given by Lenovo.

• outsideblasts

I wonder if any W500 users have used W7 and Vista on the same machine. On my Dell 1525, under W7 the battery life (according to the meter) is about 20% lower than using Vista. Many reports have said that W7 will use less power, and it certainly is less resource hungry, but my experience (albeit on only one machine) doesn't agree.

So, (and maybe this should be a separate question): do users notice higher or lower battery life under W7 compared to Vista?