I have a problem with the Internet connection thru WiFi.
Some time ago I had reinstalled OS (XP Sp3) on a notebook (Samsung R560 with a WLAN adapter that's specified as 'Intel 802.11a/b/g/n 1x2 (MIMO) / Intel 802.11a/b/g/n 3x3 (MIMO) / Atheros 802.11b/g'). Then (I understand that 'then' doesn't mean 'therefore') I faced the following problem: I could access to local network, but not to the Internet.
ISP's broadband Internet cable is connected to WiFi router ASUS WL-500, having local IP address 192.168.1.1 (DHCP is disabled). Both 2 and 3 are assigned to a Windows server and another notebook. 192.168.1.4 is assigned to the Samsung notebook. I had installed a custom Intel utility on top of the WLAN driver, then (after the problems begin) uninstalled it, so now I have the naked driver.
From time to time, the Internet connection gets broken: no external sites are available, Skype is out, Outlook can't get e-mails. Nevertheless, I still have access to the local network, say, \192.168.1.2\c$. The other machines are still connected to the Internet thru the same router.
What can be the problem root? What have I look at?
Sounds like you've got the IP address; but you need a default gateway and a DNS server IP configured on the laptop as well. The default gateway is the router (sounds like 192.168.1.1) and you can use any available DNS (like 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52).
Turn off energy-saving mode for the WiFi adapter, it's often buggy.
I have a PC and a laptop (Windows 7 - both) which should connect through router to Internet. The router is Linksys wrt120. My ISP is using PPPoE.
I have connected the Internet cable to the router, clone the MAC of my PC, writing the username and the password for my Internet connection. After seconds the router has acquired IP from my ISP. I have used the administration panel of Linksys and with the help of the ping and tracert commands which are built into it - I can connect to the world, outside the network.
The problem is when I try to connect the PC or the laptop to the network. There's no problem here. The DHCP server of the router gives them appropriate addresses. The problem is that they couldn't connect to either Internet addresses (google.com) or IP addresses. But they can connect to the router and its control panel.
I tried several times, reset the router..but there's no Internet..still.
One more thing: Windows 7 says after a diagnostic: "Your computer appear to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."
You might not have to clone your MAC at all if I remember correctly. But it has been a long time since I needed to use PPPoE.
Try to configure with out cloning the MAC and see what happens. Also verify that you are not using some sort of MAC filtering on your router. If you are be sure to add the needed MAC addresses of your local systems.
If dns-troubleshooting wont solve it, try and reset your router to default(factory) settings and start over with a clean plate.
Thank you to all but I find the solution (and the problem). My ISP has set the TTL to 1...so I have to change the router :)
If this is a DNS related problem, as the error message suggests, it's worth checking to see if you have any connectivity at all.
Open a command prompt and type:
See if you get any replies. if not try:
Again, see if you get a reply.
If the former fails and the latter works, it means you're not correctly configured to resolve DNS addresses. This is probably a configuration in the router.
This happened to me last night. Turns out there was a problem with my ISP and the modem wasn't getting any connection to the internet (though I did have connection to the router).
It resolved itself after about half an hour. As Pulse stated, make sure you check if you can even connect to the internet at all. It may be an ISP problem, or it may be DNS issues.
Check If both the PC and laptop are set to automatically obtain the DNS server.
For more things to check, see 10 Ways to Troubleshoot DNS Resolution Issues.