I am not sure if this is the right site to post this one as I typically post coding questions on stackoverflow. But I'll ask anyways and hopefully someone can move it if it's incorrect.
Currently I have a customer built PC, utilizing an Intel i7 chip, 1300WATT PSU, 8Gigs of RAM, and two video cards.
Originally I had the one video card (NVIDIA) that used the PSU and had two DVI output. After purchasing a third monitor I installed another ATI) graphics card not needed any PSU connectors.
After installing and restarting, I noticed that when I right-click on my desktop, or through Windows Explorer it will hang, freeze then restarted. Sometimes after Windows Explorer restarts the problem dissipates.
I checked to make sure everything was connected properly and it was. I repaired the ATI Catalyst Control Center to see if that had an issue, and I checked to see if either video card required updated drivers. Nothing worked.
I tried restarting my PC and that didn't work. I tried using ShellXView (I forgot what it's actually called) and tried closed processes but that didn't work.
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this orpossible solutions I should try?<
Thanks in advance.
Download ShellExView, disable all ATI-related shell extensions, one by one if you can. ATI installs a context menu handler that displays the "Catalyst Control Center" menu item, and I've found it unstable, besides being completely unnecessary.
If you know when this behavior started to occur, organize the ShellExView list by install date to quickly determine the cause to the behaviour
I've recently discovered that my Windows 7 Shift-Right-Click Context Menu in Explorer doesn't work any more. Whenever I try to Shift-Right-Click, nothing happens. This is on folders, files and the Taskbar. Normal Right-Clicks work fine. I thought it might a Shell Extension, so I uninstalled the only two custom shell extensions I have (Link Shell Extension and Hash Check Shell Extension), but I still can't get the Shift-Right-Click Context Menus working.
The problem is that I don't know when it stopped working, so I'm not sure if there was maybe a update or maybe a application I installed that caused this...
OK, figured it out: turns out it wasn't a shell extension. It was the How to Fake Back and Forward Buttons With a Three-button Mouse from How-To-Geek...